One Hurt in Morning Fire

A matchstick with flame

One woman was burned in an early morning housefire in Whiteville this morning (Sunday).

Whiteville Fire Marshal Hal Lowder said three people lived in the home in the 100 block of Sellers Street. The injured woman awoke to find her bedroom on fire, and was helped out of the home by one of the other residents, he said. The two firefighters on duty at the fire station arrived about the same time.

The firefighters knocked down the blaze while dealing with unusually high early morning temperatures and humidity, Lowder said.

The entire department turned out within minutes and confined the fire to one room and the contents, Lowder said.

“It was a great response, and they were dealing with tough conditions,” Lowder said.

The victim was hospitalized for non-life threatening but serious injuries.

The fire is under investigation, but was thought to be accidental.

About Jefferson Weaver 2106 Articles
Jefferson Weaver is the Managing Editor of Columbus County News and he can be reached at (910) 914-6056, (910) 632-4965, or by email at [email protected].