Fire claims life Saturday

A matchstick with flame

A space heater is being blamed for a fatal fire Saturday morning.

Deputy Fire Marshal Chase Lancaster said the fire on Tommy Wooten Road was called in at 7:03. a.m. Despite quick response from multiple departments, the resident of the home could not be saved.
“It was a great job by everyone and our 911 Center,” Lancaster said. “This was just not the outcome we hoped for.”

The sheriff’s office on Tuesday confirmed the victim was Russell McAllister, 84.

Chadbourn firefighters were assisted by North Whiteville, Brunswick, and Evergreen. The sheriff’s office, fire marshal, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and State Bureau of Investigation also assisted.

About Jefferson Weaver 2040 Articles
Jefferson Weaver is the Managing Editor of Columbus County News and he can be reached at (910) 914-6056, (910) 632-4965, or by email at [email protected].